Monday, February 3, 2014

Lincoln's Sparrow - Melospiza lincolnii

Patti and I just returned from a 3 day birding trip in the Sacramento Valley, including Lake Solano and the refuges. The last bird I photographed, at Lake Solano (Putah Creek) was found by Patti, who waved excitedly and pointed urgently to a bush along the river bank. A sparrow was perched there, rather backlit, but a quick look suggested a Lincoln's Sparrow. I snapped one quick shot and it flew off, as Lincoln's Sparrows tend to drop out of sight with annoying speed. A quick look at the photo was a bit disappointing (underexposed), but it appeared that some detail could be coaxed out of the shadows, or so I hoped.



The shot was sharp enough to attempt a photoshop rescue, which I did on returning home, using LightRoom 4.0. Mainly I used adjustments for lighting and contrast, and I was pleased with the result below. Lincoln's Sparrows often pop us just briefly, preferring to forage in a area with good cover. I never had a chance to fire off a second shot.


We were pleased that the "enhanced" version confirmed our field ID. Note the buffy eye ring (you may have to enlarge the photo), slightly buffy malar stripes, fine streaking in the throat, and nicely streaked breast with a central spot like the Song Sparrow, and the white belly.

Lincoln's Sparrow, Melospiza lincolnii, is one of the 3 Melospiza sparrows that are seen in the U.S., along with the ubiquitous Song Sparrow and the less commonly seen Swamp Sparrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment